Safety Tips for Cyclists
Trusted Bicycle Accident Attorney
We represent injured bicycle accident victims and the surviving family
members of those who have died in bicycle accidents. Because most cases
involve motorists, we have observed a pattern of negligent driving behaviors
consistent with these at-fault drivers. In an effort to keep bicyclists
safe and help educate parents so they can teach their children to be safe
while riding, we have developed a list of safety tips for cyclists.
We encourage you to continue reading, and if you are searching for legal
representation in your
bicycle accident case, please contact our Phoenix
personal injury attorneys. Ranked as one of the best law firms by
U.S. News & World Report and
Best Lawyers, you can be sure that you are in good hands with Palumbo Wolfe & Palumbo!
Bike Safety in Arizona
Under Arizona's state laws, cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities
as motorists. This means that a cyclists may occupy any part of a lane
where it is safety warranted, however, no cyclists should ever compromise
their safety for the convenience of a motorist.
According to the Arizona Governor's Office (GOHS), in 2013, there were
2,039 bicycle accidents which resulted in 1,679 injuries and 30 deaths
for cyclists in Arizona. While not all bicycle accidents can be prevented,
cyclists should follow these safety tips in order to reduce their risk
of being involved in an injurious collision with a motorist:
- Before riding, inspect your bicycle
- Make sure tires are properly inflated before hitting the road
- Wear a bicycle helmet every time you ride
- Wear bright colored clothing when riding during the day
- Obey all traffic signs, signals, and traffic laws
- Always signal when you are turning
- Stay alert and ride defensively at all times
- Watch for potholes, wet leaves, cracks etc.
- When turning, always look behind you
- Ride away from the curb so you don't collide with parked cars
- Stay away from the curb so you aren't hit by car doors
It is best not to ride at night as it is very dangerous, but if you do
ride at night wear reflective clothing, have reflectors on the front and
rear of your bike, and use a light (which is required).
Call our "No Recovery, No Fee" Law Firm
If have been injured in a bicycle accident, we urge you to contact a skilled
Phoenix bicycle accident lawyer from Palumbo Wolfe & Palumbo to schedule
a free consultation. As a "
no recovery, no fee" law firm, you have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to
gain by reaching out to us for help.
To find out how we can help you,
contact our office